After months of plotting and scheming and prototyping and testing and fighting with EAGLE, the first production batch of the Freetronics Ethernet Shield with Power-over-Ethernet support has now landed. Ahh, it's a beautiful thing:
As explained on the product page it includes a few improvements to the reference design, such as:
- Slaving the Wiznet enable line to the SPI select line
- Improved power filtering for better noise suppression
- Improvements to reset circuit to reliably reset the Wiznet chip when the Arduino resets
- Power-over-Ethernet magjack with PoE connections brought out to a header
- MASSIVE prototyping area!
With our midspan injector you don't even need to hack any network cables for a cheap DIY approach. Just plug it in and away you go.